18 May 2010

Lucky routines book

I had decided that one of my three final outcome books was going to be based on the lucky routines that i collected from the running club questionnaire, but wasn't sure on the format to work in. Then after the other day's screenprinting practice I decided I would go ahead and try to make the book out of screenprints, because i was pleased with how the overlapping text had turned out.. it made the formulas a lot more interesting. I decided to stick with the same 'GOOD RACE=' behind each formula, because behind every good race is a lucky routine, and then use different colours for each person's routine.

I'm really pleased with how this has turned out, I like how the 'good race' is a familiar thread that runs through the book and the different colours help to make each person individual, just like their personal lucky routine. I really enjoyed the process of screenprinting as well, each page is printed differently and not exactly central.. which I'm not worried about because that's what makes it an individual handmade book! These are some of the pages at the moment:

Making these three different books is enabling me to try out a range of processes which are becoming successful in their own ways. What i do want to make sure though is that the three books do look like they are part of the same project, i don't want them to look randomly placed together. To make sure this doesn't happen I'm going to have to think about the covers, maybe I could use the exact same paper/colour for the covers, to make them look like a set... this is something I'm going to think about over the weekend whilst I'm working on the next and final book, the lucky number photo cutouts book.

I Also managed to get hold of some smaller sized Letraset, not Helvetica but Charlotte Sans 3mm, and I think it works well with the bold Helevetica 'numbers,' because it's very subtle and doesn't detract from the numbers which was really important to get right.

No comments:

Post a Comment